One of our most interesting trips recently was to Finca Luna Nueva, located in the northern part of the Cantón of San Ramón, about one hour and 45 minutes from where we live. Though things are getting brown here on the Pacific side of the mountain range that runs through the center of the country, once we crossed the mountain and arrived at Finca Luna Nueva, everything was lush and green. For me, it was like taking a long drink of cool water when you are really thirsty.
We went with fellow San Ramon resident Trisha Spinelli who is their staff writer. Finca Luna Nueva Lodge is a sustainable eco-lodge hotel and certified organic biodynamic farm situated in the rainforest. While there, Trisha gave us a tour of the organic kitchen garden where they grow the organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs that they serve in their restaurant. We enjoyed a delicious “slow food” lunch featuring a great salad, ceviche de sandia (watermelon), fish, fresh fruit juice and local organic coffee. After lunch, General Manager, Steven Farrell, took us on a very interesting tour of the Sacred Seeds Garden. What is a “Sacred Seeds Garden?” Just watch this brief video to find out!
Paul and I were so impressed with our visit to Finca Luna Nueva that we wanted to tell you more about it. We will also be scheduling day trips in the near future that will include two tours, a great organic lunch in their restaurant, and transportation (optional). To whet your appetite, here’s some additional info about this special place:
We began farming here in 1994, planting and harvesting organic ginger and turmeric, and promoting sustainable agriculture and conservation in the local community.
In 2003 we decided to take our promotion of sustainable practices to the next level by building several beautiful eco-lodges using fallen timber from the farm.Since then we have added a 50 foot high observation tower, a solar heated Jacuzzi, an ozonated swimming pool, and a handicapped accessible rainforest trail. Now you can experience the Costa Rican rainforest, learn about our farms sustainable practices and relax in our rustic yet luxurious accommodations.
Walk through well-groomed rain forest trails on our guided farm tours and hikes, eat gourmet meals prepared from our fresh organic garden produce, and witness the majesty of the Arenal Volcano.
For adventure activityenthusiasts, we are located only 35 minutes from La Fortuna, the adventure capital of Costa Rica, and home of world famous Arenal Volcano. La Fortuna is a must see destination for anyone seeking a thrill, and our experienced staff will be more than happy to schedule all of your activities and tours for you.
With 13 rooms and 33 beds, accommodations can be made for both the traveler looking for an intimate getaway as well as housing for large groups and conferences. At Finca Luna Nueva Lodge in Costa Rica you will:
- Enjoy rustic yet luxurious accommodations, an ozonated swimming pool and solar heated Jacuzzi, laundry service and transportation.
- Hike with our bilingual eco-guides through pristine rainforests where monkeys, sloths, and hundreds of species of birds and butterflies make their home.
- Be just ten miles from Arenal Volcano, hot springs, canopy tours, rafting and other exciting adventure activities.
- Visit our Luna Nueva Rainforest Spa for traditional massage or holistic wellness services.
- Enjoy fine dining — A unique Costa Rican Asian fusion cuisine, farm raised and chef prepared on site.
- View working certified organic biodynamic herbal farm and estate on our farm tours.
- Explore the Sacred Seeds Sanctuary, our rare collection of traditional medicinal plants and herbs.
- Be adjacent to the 50,000 acre Children’s Eternal Rainforest conservation area.
- We are proud members of the Slow Food International Convivia and in accordance with this philosophy we provide food products, in addition to being certified Biodynamic, that are good, clean, and fair.
To see more photos, check out our Finca Luna Nueva photo album on Facebook.